This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Anycubic Mega Pro – Features, Specs, And Everything Else You Need To Know
Anycubic has, in recent years, been releasing a series of 3D printers designed to meet the diverse needs of creators out there. The Mega Pro is the latest in this long line of high-quality printers. With a large build volume, a sturdy metal design, and commendable print quality, the Mega Pro is considered one of the best entry-level printers in the market right now.
But is it worth the money? Well, that will be the focus of our review. We look at some of the key features and specs that set this printer apart from others in its category. We also give you additional info about setup, use, and customer support. In the end, we hope that this information will help you decide whether, indeed, the Mega Pro is right for you.
- Printing Technology: Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)
- Build Volume: 210 mm x 210 mm x 205 mm
- Layer Resolution: 0.05 – 0.3 mm
- Positioning Accuracy: X/Y – 0.0125 mm, Z – 0.002 mm
- Printer Speed: 20 – 100 mm/second
- Print Resume: Yes
- Extruder Type: Bowden Single Nozzle
- Operational Extruder Temperature: 260 Degrees Celsius
- Nozzle Diameter: 0.4 mm
- Print Bed: Heated
- Max Bed temperature: 100 degrees Celsius
- Filament Diameter: 1.75 mm
- Supported Filament: PLA, TPU, and others
- Third-Party Filament: Yes
- Filament Sensor: Yes
- Connectivity: SD Card and USB cable
- Slicer Software: Cura
- Operating System: Windows, Mac
- Printer Dimensions: 405 mm x 410 mm x 453 mm
- Printer Weight: 15 KGs
The Mega Pro is also loaded with a series of incredible features to note. We have highlighted some of them here below:
- A two-in-one machine combining a 3D printer and a laser engraver for maximum versatility and use.
- The printer also features an improved, optimized extrusion torque and path orientation that is especially effective in printing complex filaments, including TPU.
- Features a solid modular metal frame designed for excellent durability and stability. This design also makes the assembly easier and fast.
- The printer also comes with a feature that allows you to pause printing at any height. This is extremely important when you want multi-color printing since you can pause and change filament color and then resume printing.
- The unit is also fitted with state-of-the-art TMC 2208 stepper drivers that promote smooth and stable printer operation. The drivers also play a key role in reducing noise.
- The Mega Pro also comes with new and upgraded leveling knobs that make bed leveling a bit easier even though it’s manual.
- Improved printer stability also helps to enhance print quality. The Mega Pro is also compatible with a wide variety of filaments.
- The sleek matte black metal finish delivers impeccable aesthetics.
- You also get a relatively large built volume that allows you to print large and more versatile objects.
- Print resume and filament detection features are also included to guarantee an easy and uninterrupted printing experience for everyone.
- It comes already semi-assembled, making it easier for anyone to set up and use the unit for the first time
- Multi-use printer with dual functionality thanks to its 3D printer and laser engraver
- Assisted manual leveling that takes a few minutes to complete
- Sturdy metal design that will last for ages
- Assisted bed leveling may be challenging to use for some beginners
- Some users also complained that the SD card provided by the manufacturer does not work right out of the box
- The printer is also large and bulky
- Some people have also had issues using the laser engraver accordingly.
Unboxing and Box Content
Anycubic has also done well to include several things inside the box. But before we get to that list, let’s, first of all, describe to you what the box looks like. Well, it is a sturdy cardboard box neatly secured with tape for maximum safety. You will also notice that there is quite a lot of foam padding in there. This seems to be a common theme for all the Anycubic printers we have reviewed.
As for the goodies in the box, you will get a full toolset from the manufacturer, a pair of pliers, some screws, a scrapper, some wrenches, and Allen keys. Anycubic also gives you a free SD card and a card reader, a USB cable, a power adapter, and a leveling module. You will also get the full user manual and a service card from the company.
The printer ships semi-assembled, though. There are three main parts inside the box, a base, the gantry, and the laser head. And speaking of lasers, Anycubic has also included special protective glasses that should keep you safe while using the engraver.
The Mega Pro comes already preassembled, so set up, and assembly should be easy. There are four main steps in setting up the printer, all of which are well explained in the manual. First, take out the printer base and the gantry from the box. Place the base on a flat surface. Neatly attach the gantry and screw it in.
After that, attach the filament sensor and the spool holder. The final step is the wiring and is just as easy as the setup. All wires are color-coded, so you know exactly what goes where without even looking at the menu. Once the printer is wired in, select the voltage specifications depending on your area and power it on.
Despite this ease in set up and assembly, you may run into a few issues when it comes to bed leveling. Yes, Anycubic provides assisted manual leveling and has very helpful videos on its website about this. But based on the reviews of users on Amazon, it seems like there are just a lot of folks out there who can’t level the bed accurately. Other than that, the Mega Pro is fairly easy to set up, even for a first-time user.
The Mega Pro is compatible with third-party slicers and also comes with proprietary slicing software from the manufacturer. However, we would strongly recommend Cura. It just works great with this unit. The printer is also compatible with Windows OS and Mac.
The Mega Pro does quite well as far as print quality goes. We did not see any complaints about quality in printed items even though a good share of people still had issues with bed leveling. Much of this success is down to the improved X/Y and Z-axis stability. Let’s also not forget the printer is fitted with an improved dual gear extruder that provides enough torque to print a wide range of complex filament materials, including TPU.
The Mega Pro is also fitted with TMC 2208 stepper drivers designed to promote smooth printing. The drivers also reduce motor vibrations, making the printer relatively quiet compared to other units.
You also get a print resume feature here and Pause printing at any height. You can even change the filament after pausing and resume right from where you stopped. This gives you the chance to print using differently colored filament. And to top it off, there is a laser engraver included for extra versatility.
Anycubic claims that it offers technical support to its customers within 24 hours. Despite this, we did not find any reviews on Amazon and other forums like Reddit to assess the effectiveness of customer service. But the company does have a good history of excellent customer service, and you should expect a swift resolution of whatever issue you may have with the Mega Pro.
The Mega Pro is one of the best 3D printers from Anycubic in recent years and for good reasons. It is a 2 in 1 unit that features both a printer and a laser engraver. We also loved that the printer comes in a sturdy and sleek metal design that looks good. It’s super stable as well and should last you for years.
User reviews on Amazon also show that the print quality achieved with the Mega Pro is quite good. The build volume is relatively big, the printer is super quiet, and comes already semi assembled for easy first-time use. The Mega Pro also offers multi-color printing ad is compatible with several filament materials. It’s everything you’d look for in a 3D printer.
Despite this, the unit also has a few shortcomings. First, we’ve seen a lot of complaints that bed leveling is not as easy as the manufacturer would have you believe. The printer is also heavy and bulky. But other than these minor issues, overall, the Mega Pro is a top-of-the-line 3D printer with a series of incredible features. It is ideal for both beginner and seasoned creators out there.