This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Anycubic Photon Mono X – Super-Fast and Reliable Resin 3D Printer
The main reason why a lot of creators go for resin-based printers is because of the incredibly detailed print quality. The resolution achieved is simply exceptional, and as such, resin-based printers have often been preferred for large-scale models and items where true detailing must be visible.
The great news is that there are several resin-based printers out, but even then, the Anycubic Photon Mono X stands out from the pack. With a safe enclosed design, excellent printing speed, and excellent print quality, this printer has become a darling for resin-focused creators in the world.
Well, the Photon Mono X is the main focus of our review today. We will be looking at all aspects of this printer, including its technical specifications, features, and so much more.
- Printing Technology: LCD Based SLA
- Build Volume: 192 mm x 290 mm x 475 mm
- Light Source: High-Quality Filament (Wavelength 405 nm)
- XY Resolution: 0.05 mm 3840 x 2400 (4K)
- Z-Axis Resolution: 0.01 mm
- Layer Resolution: 0.01 – 0.15 mm
- Printing Speed: 60 mm/ Second
- Control: 3.5 Inch touchscreen display
- Connectivity: USB
- Software: Anycubic Photon Workshop
- Rated Power: 120 W
- Material: 405 nm UV Resin
- Printer Dimensions: 270 mm x 290 mm x 475 mm
- Printer Weight: 10.75 Kilograms
As one of the best resin printers in the market, the Photon Mono X comes with an array of exciting features. Here are some of its main highlights:
- The Photon Mono X comes with an innovative safety feature that shuts off the printer if the top cover is removed.
- The unit is also one of the fastest resin printers on the market. It can hit printing speeds as high as 60 mm per second.
- The Photon Mono X also features a redesigned high-performance Z-axis that is supported by dual rails, stepper motors, and clearance nut combinations for excellent stability. The improved Z-axis also reduces the risk of layer shifting dramatically.
- The unit is also fitted with a high-quality quartz lamp bead with an all-new matrix design. This ensures uniform UV light energy distribution for enhanced printing results.
- The Photon Mono X also comes with a superb 8.9” 4K Monochrome LCD that delivers finely detailed and high-quality prints. The screens can last several thousand hours as well for long-lasting service.
- You will also get an effective UV cooling system designed to enhance stability during printing and prolong the life of the printer massively.
- The Photon Mono X also has a relatively larger build plate compared to other resin printers. The feature makes it possible for creators to print larger items with ease.
- You will also get the Anycubic App remote control that allows you to control, monitor, and adjust printing operations using your mobile phone.
- This unit also comes with proprietary Anycubic Slicer Software that supports up to 8x anti-aliasing. The software also offers fast slicing and comes with an incredibly user-friendly interface.
- The printer also offers a compact and sleek design that is not only easy to carry around but takes very little space when fully set up.
- Relatively large build volume that gives creators enough versatility to print large items
- 4K monochrome LCD screen that enhances resolution and quality in printed objects
- Quick set up and assembly that takes less than ten minutes, even for a beginner
- It comes fitted with reliable safety features
- Allows you to control, monitor, and adjust printing using the Anycubic app on your mobile phone
- Some users have run into issues trying to print large items
- The instruction manual provided by the manufacturer is not as clear as it should be
- The slicing software offered in this printer requires time to learn how it works
- The printer has some internal parts made from plastic, something that can be an issue if it overheats
Unboxing and Box Contents
The Photon Mono X ships were already assembled. Yes, there are a few accessories that you will need to put together. But the printer is simply whole when you take it out of the box for the first time. For this reason, the unit ships in an overly large box, which feels a bit heavy.
Additionally, you will notice that it is also enclosed inside a plastic paper bag. This is designed to add another layer of protection to reduce the risk of possible damage while the printer is in transit. There are also a few things to look out for inside the box.
First, you will get a full user manual to help you set up the printer. Anycubic also includes a toolset, an SD card reader, an SD Card, a resin vat, and a scrapper. It is also important to note that the platform for this unit ships separately inside the box, so you will need to attach it before you begin printing.
Keep your eyes open for the power cord, the Wi-Fi antenna, and a pair of gloves as well. A service card is also nestled inside the box. Keep it safe because you will need it when seeking support.
As noted above, the Photon Mono X is a fully assembled printer. It is often ready to print straight out of the box. However, there are a few steps to take before you start using it. No need to worry; these are all basic things that take less than five minutes, especially if you follow the simple instructions on the user guide.
Set up takes three steps. First, attach the WI-Fi antenna to the printer. After that, screw in the build plate and wrap it up by connecting the power chord. As for bed leveling, the process is manual but not nearly that hard.
Anycubic provides a leveling sheet with this printer and simple to follow instructions on the user guide that should help you level the bed in no time.
The Photon Mono X comes with Anycubic’s proprietary slicer software dubbed the Photon Workshop. However, as a rule of thumb, do not download the software directly from Anycubic’s website.
There is software stored in the USB stick that ships with this printer. Use that instead. The Photon Mono X is also compatible with ChiTuBox. However, the Photon Workshop is still a fairly solid software option, and it looks very interactive and easy to use.
Resin printers are renowned for their high quality and precision printing, and the Photon Mono X is not any different. The quality of the printed object is simply impeccable. One thing that we noted, though, is that there seems to be a lot of cured resin that remains at the bottom of the vat. This will, of course, make cleaning after printing a bit harder, but it’s understandable.
The Photon Mono X is also relatively fast but still a bit slower compared to non-resin printers. You also get a full noiseless printer here. This makes the Mono X ideal for schools and other places where quiet is crucial.
But keep in mind that printing with resin can be messy sometimes. Use the right tools, including gloves, while handling the printer. Additionally, ensure the plate and the resin vats are also cleaned immediately after printing. Always keep the resin tightly sealed as well and away from sunlight.
The experience with Anycubic’s customer support, at least based on Amazon user reviews, looks very mixed. On the one hand, some users say that they have received very helpful and reliable support from the company, while others feel the support team is slow and unresponsive.
Well, this will probably depend on the issue you have with the printer. Our advice would be to get specific contacts of after-sale service teams in your country and talk to them instead of the main Anycubic support team.
The Photon Mono X is an improved resin-based printer that offers a big build plate, additional safety measures, and top-notch print quality. It is well constructed as well and comes with a large LCD touch screen for easy control. Set up and use is also so easy, plus you also get s superb slicer.
But even with all these positives, no doubt there are some issues. For instance, we have seen complaints that the printer struggles to print large items. Additionally, even though the slicer offered by the manufacturer looks great, it requires some time for people to get used to it.
But despite these shortcomings, the Photon Mono X is an excellent printer. In fact, it is perhaps the best resin-based printer out there. With excellent print quality and an affordable mid-range price, this unit should come highly recommended for all creators in the world.