This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Frankensbox FX-800 3D Printer – Is This the Best Budget Delta Printer?
Price excl. shipping / Last update on 2020-10-06 at 21:20 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The FX-800 is one of the most reliable entry-level delta 3D printers thanks to its top-quality features. It comes fully assembled and offers a one-button leveling feature, making it a great choice for beginners with limited technical expertise in 3D printing. The FX-800 also offers excellent print quality and can be used to print a wide variety of materials. The fact that it comes with an enclosed printing chamber makes it reliable for a number of trickier materials too.
Delta 3D printers are tricky. They look simple when they are operating, but their smooth robotic motion hides the truth that they are often difficult to set up and even harder to diagnose problems with. I always recommend that beginners start with a conventional cartesian 3D printer. However, the FX-800 may be about to change that, as it arrives fully assembled and ready to go, and has a number of features to ensure it remains easy to use in many situations.
The printer is packed with an array of excellent features, making it an ideal pick for both novice and professional creators. We will look at some of its notable features, its technical specifications, and wrap up the article with some additional information that will help you leverage all its capabilities.
- Print Technology: FDM
- Build Plate: (D x H) 5.9 x 6.9 inches or 150 mm x 175 mm
- Connectivity: USB and Wi-Fi
- Power: 100 – 240 Volts
- Filament Size: 1.75 mm
- Print resolution: 0.1 mm
- Print Material: ABS, PLA, WOOD, PC, and PVC
- Removable platform: Yes
- Noise levels: 50 decibels maximum
- Maximum Nozzle temperature: 250 Degrees Celsius
- Printer Speed: 150 mm / second
- Operating system: Mac OS X, Android, and iOS
- Printer size: (D x H) 305 mm x 510 mm
- Printer Weight: 7.2 Kgs
The FX-800 also comes loaded with some incredible features, some of which are the higher end for its price. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- The printer has a plug and play design, making it easier for even the most novice of creators to use it for the first time without too many problems.
- The unit is also fully assembled and offers a one-button leveling feature for quick and easy set up during first-time use
- The FX-800 also offers multiple connectivity options. Users can print via USB, Wi-Fi, or through an internal SD card offered by the manufacturer. It also lets you print from an iPad, an iPhone, or any android device.
- You will also get an automatic filament loader that comes with anti-jam technology, designed to ensure seamless and uninterrupted printing at all times.
- The FX-800 also features an ultra-quiet operation. The printer produces a maximum of 50 decibels in noise, making it one of the quietest units in its category
- A print resume feature is also included to guard against power outages and other interruptions in printing. There is also a pause/off feature that lets you pause or stop printing whenever you want
- The FX-800 also has a fully enclosed printing chamber for enhanced safety during operation. The enclosed chamber also prevents environmental factors such as room temperature from interfering with the printing process, something that goes a long way in enhancing overall print quality.
- It also has a compact design with a very small footprint, making it perfectly suited for people with limited countertop space.
- The printer also comes with a removable print platform that makes it easier to dislodge objects once the printing is completed.
- Simple plug and play design for quick set up on first-time use
- One button leveling feature makes set up and operating for beginners easier
- Offers multiple connectivity options including the ability to print from an iPhone, iPad, or Android device
- Excellent print quality, especially for an affordable entry-level printer
- The quick start guide provided by the manufacturer is not nearly as detailed as it should be
- The propriety slicing software provided is often flagged as malware by most antivirus software
- Some users have also had issues using the WI-Fi connectivity feature on this unit
- The tech support provided for some users was inadequate to address some of the concerns they had
Unboxing and Box Contents
According to the reviews we saw online, it is clear that the FX-800 comes in neat and sturdy packaging. Unpacking the unit from the box is also easy. It shouldn’t take more than a minute. There are also several accessories included in the box. First of all, the manufacturer gives you a spool of PLA filament so that you can start printing straight away. There is also a USB cable in there, a power cord, and a quick start guide to help you set up and use the printer. The makers of the FX-800 also give you an SD Card and an SD Card adapter to ensure your connectivity options are as versatile as they can be.
The FX-800 comes fully assembled, and as such, no technical set up is needed. Additionally, the unit offers a one-button bed leveling feature. It is a plug and play unit that can be used by anyone. Even though the quick start guide provided by the manufacturer is not nearly as detailed compared to other brands, you won’t probably need to use it a lot during set up. The FX-800 also has an automatic filament loading feature. The loader is fully equipped with anti-jam technology, ensuring that you get flawless and uninterrupted printing anytime. This goes a long way in improving the overall user experience.
The FX-800 has proprietary slicer software provided by the manufacturer. You will need to download it when you buy the printer, although we noted from some of the reviews we saw on Amazon that the slicer may have been removed from the app store. However, the slicer can be downloaded directly from the FX 800 website.
We did note though that the software may be flagged as malware by some of the commonly used antivirus software. Ensure you’ve added it in the list of exceptions for your specific antivirus. The FX-800 is also compatible with several operating systems, including Mac OS X, iOS, and Android.
Overall, the print quality achieved by the FX-800, at least according to user reviews, is quite incredible. Remember, the unit does have an enclosed printing chamber, something that, more often than not, helps to enhance print quality. The fact that you can print a wide variety of filament is also a big plus. The FX-800 is also one of the quietest printers in its category. With just 50 decibels of noise, it delivers smooth and quiet operation, making it ideal for educational and research institutions.
The manufacturer of the FX-800 offers email support for all users. However, the experiences of different people using this support vary. On the one hand, from the reviews we analyzed, it looked like some users were able to get quick assistance from the support team. However, other reviews paint a different picture. Some users note that they had a hard time getting through to the email support team. Others note that even in cases where they were able to get a response from the company, it was not adequate to assist them with the specific issues they had. We did not take the time to test out the support. However, there is a 50-50 chance that the support team works well for customers.
The FX-800 is by far one of the most reliable entry-level delta 3D printers thanks to its top-quality features. The printer comes fully assembled and offers a one-button leveling feature, making it a great choice for beginners with limited technical expertise in 3D printing. The FX-800 also offers excellent print quality and can be used to print a wide variety of materials. The fact that it comes with an enclosed printing chamber enhances overall safety too.
The printer also offers quiet operation. This makes it a good option for research and educational institutions that can’t afford the distraction caused by other noisy units. But the positives do not end there. The FX-800 also features a compact design, delivering a small footprint that works best for people with limited countertop space. The multiple connectivity options, including the ability to print from an Android or iOS device, also make this unit extremely versatile.
Despite all these great features, the FX-800 also has its shortfalls. For example, we noted that the Wi-Fi connectivity option keeps disconnecting. This can significantly affect the overall user experience. Additionally, the proprietary software issued by the manufacturer will be flagged as malware by most antivirus software, and this can be very annoying since it limits your ability to use it. However, even with these shortcomings, the FX-800 is still a solid, high-quality printer. It offers the best value for money and is highly recommended for people looking for a reliable entry-level 3D printer.