This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Review: Qidi Tech X-Plus
The Qidi Tech X-Plus is one of the most advanced 3D printers in Qidi’s ever-growing line-up. With a unique two extruder and two filament holder design, Qidi is starting to rival the big boys with innovation. Any long-term readers of my blog will know I’ve been a fan of Qidi since their first model, so I’m keen to see if this innovation has had any impact on their previous impeccable record for reliability and quality at a budget price.
3D printers have become extremely central in industrial prototyping. They are pushing the bounds of creativity and innovation in many sectors. These 3D printers are also making design and product development less expensive and more seamless. However, while there is a broad diversity of 3D printers out there, not all can perform these high-level industrial tasks.
But don’t worry, this is where the Qidi Tech X-Plus comes in. The printer is a versatile unit designed to perform advanced industrial 3D printing tasks and do simple creations for the average person as well. In this review, we will unpack all the features the Qidi Tech X-Plus has to offer, its pros and cons, and additional information that you may need before you purchase it.
- Printing Technology: FDM FFF
- Filament diameter: 1.75 mm
- Build Volume: 270 mm x 200 mm x 200 mm
- Layer Height: 100 – 500 Microns
- Maximum Bed Temperature: 100 Degrees Celsius
- Maximum Extruder Temperature: 260 Degrees Celsius
- Connection: USB Drive, Wi-Fi
- Display: 4.3-inch color touchscreen display
- Operating Systems: Windows and Mac
- Slicing Software: Proprietary Qidi Tech Slicing software, Simplify 3D, and Cura
- Weight: 23 Kilograms
As one of the most notable industrial-grade 3D printers in the market, the X-Plus comes loaded with an array of excellent features. Here are a few most notable ones:
- The Qidi Tech X-Plus is designed with a double Z-axis which is relatively more stable and solid especially when using it for large prints.
- The printer also comes with a 4.3-inch color touchscreen for all your controls. The interface is also user-friendly and more intuitive compared to most models in the market.
- Unlike other entry-level printers, the X-plus has two extruders, each designed for a specific role. The first one is used for printing general materials like ABS, PLA, TPU, etc. The second one is reserved for more advanced materials including carbon fiber, nylon, and others.
- The build plate on the X-plus is also removable and flexible. It can be bent and twisted without any risk of damage thanks to its flexible construction. This makes it easier to remove models once they are printed.
- Qidi Tech is also offering two different ways to load filament on the X-plus. First, the filament can be placed outside the printer and fed into it smoothly as it prints. The X-Plus also allows you to place filament inside. This keeps the materials at a constant temperature as the object is printed.
- The Qidi Tech X-Plus features a fully enclosed design as well. It ensures that environmental factors including room temperature do not have any serious effects on the quality of printing.
- Although the Qidi Tech X-Plus is already loaded with the proprietary Qidi Tech slicing software version 5.0 (the latest), it can accommodate other third party slicing software solutions including Simplify 3D and Cura
- The Qidi Tech X-Plus also has an automatic shut off feature that shuts down the printer once the object is printed. There is also a print resume feature as well in case of a power outage or accidental printer shutdown.
- The product is also backed by one-on-one technical support from Qidi Tech. The company says that any customers who run into problems with this printer can get technical assistance from its team in less than 12 hours.
- The unit is extremely versatile. It can be used for average printing needs and advanced industrial creations.
- It has two different extruders for different filaments including more advanced materials such as Carbon fiber, nylon, and others.
- Improved double Z-Axis design enhances printer stability and accuracy.
- One of the most highly rated 3D printers on Amazon.
- Fantastic reputation for friendly, quick, and helpful customer service.
- Some users have found difficulty using the proprietary slicer provided by the manufacturer however you can easily download the latest version of Cura which works well.
- The touch screen may also respond slowly in some cases.
Unboxing and Box Contents
The Qidi Tech X-Plus comes with sturdy packaging. The manufacturer has also included a few accessories in the box to help you set up and use the printer without needing to invest in extra tools and accessories.
Keep your eyes open for one extruder, an acrylic cover, an accessories bag containing screws, and one single power supply cable. Qidi Tech has also included one 16 GB flash drive and a single spool of filament so that you can start printing as soon as possible.
The Qidi Tech X-Plus comes already fully assembled from the factory. This reduces the amount of time it takes you to set it up significantly. Leveling the bed is also very straightforward. The X-Plus comes with a one-button bed leveling feature. You just need to press it and the bed will level automatically.
According to user reviews, it takes between 45 minutes to an hour to fully set up the printer. The only sad part is that the user manual provided by the manufacturer is a little hard to follow. I would go online for some tutorials before setting up the printer if I were you.
The Qidi Tech X-Plus also gives you two options for loading the filament. The first one is designed for ventilated printing where the filament is loaded from the outside. The second is fully enclosed printing where the filament is loaded inside the printer. Ventilated printing is mostly ideal for common filament materials like PLA ABS and others. Enclosed filament loading, on the other hand, is perfect for more advanced materials including carbon fiber, nylon, and others.
The Qidi Tech X-Plus comes loaded with proprietary Qidi Tech slicing software. However, some users have had issues using it. The good thing is that the printer is compatible with other slicers too including Simplify 3D and Cura. The software is also compatible with Windows and Mac only.
For such a powerful and highly advanced printer, the Qidi Tech X-Plus is surprisingly quiet in operation. The manufacturer recommends the unit for educational institutions where low noise printing can be invaluable.
The X-Plus is also fitted with a double Z-axis that enhances stability significantly. This plays a very important role in enhancing overall print quality. The large 4.3-inch screen is also a big plus. It gives you all the controls you need to print in one simple location.
Removing the object from the bed once it’s printed is also something very easy. The X-Plus has a flexible and removable print bed. It can be detached from the printer and bent flexibly without breaking. This allows you to easily remove the object. .
It also protects the bed from any scratches that may occur as you try to remove the object. According to several Amazon reviews, the print quality offered by the Qidi Tech X-Plus is also very good.
The Qidi Tech X-Plus is supported by a dedicated support team designed to help customers with any issues. According to the manufacturer, the team responds to any customer queries within 12 hours.
The experiences of users with the support department also seem very good. From the reviews we have seen, most people who contacted Qidi Tech were able to get fast and swift responses. The company even sends additional tutorial videos as part of email support to guide users through various issues.
The Qidi Tech X-Plus is a state of the art industrial-grade 3D printer that performs a wide variety of tasks. It can print advanced materials too including carbon fiber, nylon, and others. This makes it such a great option for advanced industrial prototyping, 3D modeling, prosthetics, and other roles.
But the printer is not just for advanced creations. Even for 3D printing hobbyists, this unit offers so much value. It can print normal filaments such as ABS, PLA, and others as well. Setting up the Qidi Tech X-Plus is also so easy.
The unit comes already assembled and has a one-button bed leveling feature as well. Just hit the button and the bed will be leveled automatically. Qidi Tech is also offering comprehensive customer support for these units. The manufacturer claims that it responds to user’s emails within 12 hours and I have seen plenty of reviews online backing up this claim, plus my own experiences of dealing with Qidi customer service have always be positive.
However, despite its advanced features and capabilities, there are a few shortcomings of the Qidi Tech X-Plus you should be aware about.
First, we noted that some users have had an issue using the manufacturer-provided slicing software. No need to worry though. The printer can use third party slicers such as Cura and Simplify 3D. The instruction manual provided by the manufacturer has also proved not helpful for some users.
Nonetheless, there are loads of online tutorials that can help you out. With everything considered, there is no doubt that the Qidi Tech X-Plus is a high-quality 3D printer perfectly suited for users with advanced printing needs. It’s highly recommended.
Last update on 2022-08-10 at 11:24