This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Introducing the Sunlu S8 – Large Build Volume And Great Value For Money
The Sunlu S8 is one of the few mid-level 3D printers out there that offer some great value for money. This 3D printer delivers a large build volume and features a sturdy all-metal design that will last for years. It ships already semi-assembled, making it easier for you to set up for first-time use.
Last update on 2021-04-26 at 19:39
There are many Entry-level 3D printers available, so picking the right one can seem tricky. The latest model from Sunlu, the S8 offers a larger than average print volume as well as a sturdy metal construction in addition to the features we’re now used to seeing at this price range.
Sunlu has been around long enough to develop a good reputation in the 3D printing community, especially for its budget filaments.
In this review, I’ll explore some of the features the Sunlu S8 has to offer and look at its distinct technical specs as well. I’ll take a look at some of the pros and cons and then wrap up the piece by giving you information on setting up unboxing, and overall user experience. Ultimately, you will have enough info to decide whether the S8 is the ideal 3D printer for you or not.
- Printing technology: Fused Deposition Modeling or FDM
- Build Volume: 310 mm x 310 mm x 400 mm
- Layer height: 0.01 mm
- Filament Diameter: 1.75 MM
- Nozzle Diameter: Available in three options including 0.4 mm, 0.3 mm, and 0.2 mm
- Printing Speed: Maximum of 100 mm/second
- Supported Filament: ABS, PLA, PETG, HIPS, WOOD, PLA-CF, and others
- Control: LCD Touch screen display
- Connectivity: SD card and USB drive
- Slicer: Repetier Host and Cura
- Supported Operating Systems: Mac, Windows, and Linux
- Printer Dimensions: 600 mm x 490 mm x 610 mm
- Printer Weight: 12 Kg
The Sunlu S8 has some incredible features, all designed to offer a seamless user experience for all creators. Here are the most notable features that put the S8 above its competitors:
- The Sunlu S8 delivers outstanding print quality compared to other units in its category. This makes it an ideal option for scientific, educational, industrial, and commercial modeling.
- The printer is already semi-assembled from the factory. This ensures set up is fast and easy for beginners or anyone with limited time.
- The Sunlu S8 is fitted with a print resume feature that helps guard against any unwanted interruptions in the power supply.
- The unit also features a large build volume that makes it easier for creators to print larger items or many objects at once.
- The S8 also has a sturdy and strong structural all-metal design for durability and extra stability.
- The printer also offers a large interactive LCD display with easy to understand controls. This makes the overall user experience quite remarkable.
- The Sunlu S8 is compatible with several filaments, including PLA, ABS, and others. This enhances printing flexibility for different creators.
- The printer features a relatively lower footprint, especially when you consider its large build volume. The unit, therefore, eats very little countertop space.
- The Sunlu S8 offers additional flexibility with its nozzles. The printer accommodates three different nozzle sizes, including 0.4 mm, 0.3 mm, and the 0.2 mm diameter nozzle.
- You will also love the filament sensors fitted on this printer that will alert you when you are about to run out of filament, avoiding a failed print.
- The printer is also compatible with 3rd party filament. This gives you extra flexibility and can also save you a lot of money in printing costs.
- The printer has a relatively large build volume compared to other units in this price range
- Excellent and well-built printer hardware for extra durability and long-lasting service
- The hotbed heats up very fast, hitting maximum temperature in a matter of seconds
- Removable glass bed that makes it easier to remove the printed object. It’s also easy to clean and maintain.
- Relatively fast printing speed compared to similar models from other manufacturers
- The printer looks bulky due to its relatively large size, so you need a good amount of desk space
- Does not have an automatic bed leveling feature, something that can be a stumbling block for beginners
- The Sunlu S8 is relatively new and so has not been significantly tested by different users globally, so it lacks an online community of users
Unboxing and Box Contents
The Sunlu S8 ships in a sturdy box with foam padding on the edges to protect the printer from damage. The manufacturer has also included an array of goodies inside the box for you. First, you will get a single roll of filament for your first printing project. There are also several nozzles, a glue stick, a power cord, a USB cord, an SD card, and a USB stick. Several tools are also included in there. They will be invaluable as you start setting up the printer.
You will also notice a bag inside the box, and it features several different screws and bolts needed for printer setup. The manufacturer has also included cable ties, hexagonal wrenches, a needle to clear off the filament from the nozzle, and some screw nuts. There are also a pair of cutters, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and a scraper.
The Sunlu S8 ships already preassembled. The hotend, mainboard, control unit, and the bed are already installed at the factory. In fact, you only need to do up four bolts to complete all the assembly! However, you will also need to set up the filament spool holder. The user guide that comes with the printer has clear and neat instructions on how to do that.
While bed leveling is manual, the Sunlu S8 also has a pre-leveled bed. But in case you need to adjust, it’s straightforward too.
The Sunlu S8 used several third-party slicer software solutions. But we think it works best with Cura. Both of these slicers have a solid reputation for ease of use. The unit is also compatible with the three main operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and Mac.
One thing that sets the Sunlu S8 apart, especially when you consider the prices, it’s the print quality. With a layer height of 0.01 mm, the printer delivers incredible print precision. The LCD display is also so easy to use. All the controls are clear, and they all allow you to control printer operation in one simple touch. Print speed is also quite good.
There is, however, one thing that should probably be a concern. The Sunlu S8 does not have an enclosed printing chamber. While the print quality delivered by the printer is impeccable, you kind of wonder how good or better it would be with an enclosed printing chamber. Either way, this is not a deal-breaker.
Sunlu offers several ways for customers to reach out in case they run into issues with their printers. However, the easiest option is the live chat support available on its website. It allows users to get help almost instantly from the company. There is also email support. Sunlu notes that it responds to customer queries within 24 hours.
We did not see any reviews online that corroborate or refute these claims. However, it is important to note that the S8 is very easy to use. From printer set up to the operation, the process seems very seamless. Customer queries may be very limited compared to other more sophisticated 3D printers out there.
The Sunlu S8 is one of the few mid-level 3D printers out there that offer some great value for money. This 3D printer delivers a large build volume and features a sturdy all-metal design that will last for years. It ships already semi-assembled, making it easier for you to set up for first-time use. The S8 is also compatible with various third-party filaments.
You also get given three different nozzles to pick from. This delivers outstanding flexibility for creators out there. And then there is the print quality. The S8 scores so high on this, and to be fair, you won’t find a printer at this price range that offers the same print quality. The unit is ideal for commercial, industrial, and educational 3D printing needs, all thanks to these positive features.
But despite this, there are some shortcomings to keep in mind. First of all, the printer is quite large and relatively heavier. This all-metal stature may seem intimidating for some people. Other than that, the Sunlu S8 is highly recommended. It is affordable, well built, and delivers outstanding performance anytime.