This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tenlog TL-D3 Pro – The Best value for Money in a 3D Printer?
The TL-D3 Pro is a multipurpose and well-built 3D printer that ranks top as far as value for money goes. The unit features dual printing technology, mirror mode printing, and an array of other incredible features that are typically found on higher-end models.
Well, in this review, we will be analyzing the TL-D3 Pro further and seeing if, indeed, it is worth all the hype. We’ll start by checking out some of its key technical specs, move over to features, and wrap up the post with additional info that helps you truly make the most out of this unit.
- Build Volume: 300 mm x 300 mm x 350 mm
- Layer Thickness: 0.1 mm – 0.4 mm
- XY Positioning accuracy: 0.011 mm
- Z-Axis Positioning Accuracy: 0.0025 mm
- Filament Diameter: 1.75 mm
- Maximum Nozzle Temperature: 250 Degrees Celsius
- Maximum Hotbed Temperature: 80 Degrees Celsius
- Printing speed: 150 mm/ Seconds maximum
- Supported Filament: TPU, PVA, ABS, HIPS, WOOD PETG
- Control: 4.3 Inch full-color capacitive touch screen
- Connectivity: MicroSD and USB 2.0
- Recommended Slicer: Cura, Repetier Host
- Operating System: XP, Windows 7, 8, 10, and Linux
- Printer Dimensions: 590 mm x 520 mm x 760 mm
- Printer Weight: 15.6 Kilograms
The TL-D3 Pro also has some incredible features to look out for. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- This machine is fitted with an independent dual extruder that comes with two nozzles. This gives you the chance to print two different materials at the same time for outstanding versatility
- The printer also features a powerful direct drive extruder with an effective near-end silent motor that makes it easier to print an array of filament, including TPU, PLA, AVA, PETG, HIPS, and more.
- The TL-D3 Pro also offers a large 4.3-inch interactive touch screen display. The screen is also so easy to use and has all printer controls right there for you to see.
- This printer is also almost 100% assembled. According to the manufacturer, it only requires three simple steps to set it up, something that takes less than five minutes.
- The TL-D3 Pro delivers several printing modes as well for maximum versatility. First, you get duplication mode printing that allows you to print faster and more efficiently. There is also the Mirror Mode that lets you print two symmetrical models at the same time.
- This unit is also fitted with a filament run-out detection feature to ensure an uninterrupted printing experience.
- You will also love that the printer features a large build volume that lets you print relatively large objects. And with a maximum print speed of 150 mm/second, you can be sure of fast and efficient printing here.
- The TL-D3 Pro also supports both the TMC2208 and the TMC2225 stepper drivers, both of which are designed to make the unit very quiet during printing.
- This printer also features a tempered glass hotbed that can hit a maximum temperature of 80 degrees Celsius. This offers better filament adhesion and eventually better print quality.
- Finally, the TL-D3 Pro also has a superb well build design with a sturdy metal frame all-round. The printer is also finished in distressed matte black for a sleek modern look.
- Large build volume that allows you to print larger items at any given time
- Dual extruder that can print different materials at the same time
- The printer ships already preassembled for easy and quick set up
- Powerful direct drive extruder that makes the printer compatible with a huge variety of filament materials
- An extremely versatile and fast printer that delivers impeccable print quality
- The fan on the hotend is not as effective as it should
- Poor customer support from the manufacturer
- The tempered glass bed may also warp after a few months of use
- Requires a bit of a learning curve before understanding how the unit works and the ideal settings
Unboxing and Box Contents
The TL-D3 Pro is a pretty big and heavy printer. As a result, the unit ships in a large box that measures roughly 660 mm x 580 mm x 260 mm. The box also weighs about 20.5 Kilograms. Nonetheless, it is a sturdy well-sealed box that comes with a lot of foam inside. This keeps the printer safe while on transit.
The manufacturer has included some amazing goodies inside the box as well. First, you will notice that once you open it, there are two small boxes inside. The first one contains a series of tools and wires that you will need for printer setup. The tools include things like screwdrivers, Allen keys, a scrapper, and others. You get a power chord in there, a USB cable, and several adapters too.
The second box, on the other hand, comes with a single rubber gasket and two spools of PLA filament as well. Keep in mind that the TL-D3 Pro ships are already preassembled. So, you will also see that there are three main parts inside the box.
The first one, which is relatively smaller, is the nozzle assembly or housing. The housing is already fitted with stepper motors, cooling fans, and everything else needed for it to work. You will just need to attach it to the printer.
The box also contains the printer’s gantry constructed from aluminum. And at the bottom, you will find the printer base neatly tucked away in between foam on each side. Be sure to also keep your eyes open for the full instructions manual from the manufacturer.
The TL-D3 Prois simply a plug and play printer. The unit is preassembled, so there isn’t a lot you need to do during setup. The manufacturer notes that it only takes three steps to set up this unit. True to that, the only thing you need to do here is take the printer of the box, fix the gantry to the base, and then attach the nozzle assembly.
Yes, there will be some additional wiring here and there, but it shouldn’t take more than five minutes to do this. Besides, the instructional manual that comes with this unit is simple enough for anyone to follow. The TL-D3 Pro also comes with two manual leveling nuts that are attached just under the bed.
Remember, this is a dual nozzle printer. So, level each nozzle independently. For someone who is doing this for the first time, the process can be a bit challenging. However, Tenlog has some very helpful leveling videos on its site, so check them out before you get started.
The TL-D3 Pro is compatible with third-party slicer software. However, for the best result, we would recommend Repetier Host and Cura. Additionally, the printer also works with different operating systems, including XP, Windows 7, 8, 10, and Linux.
According to most reviews that we saw on Amazon, there is no doubt the TL-D3 Pro delivers quite remarkable printing quality. But it’s very easy to run into quality issues when the printer is not set up correctly in the first place.
And since this unit does require a lot of attention, especially when leveling the bed, it’s understandable that some people may have a bad first-time experience printing. But if you get the set upright, you will love the final printed object.
Additionally, the TL-D3 Pro is compatible with the TMC2208 and the TMC2225 stepper drivers, both of which do a pretty good job of quieting this unit. As a result, you will get smooth, noiseless printing. We also loved that the TL-D3 Pro features a tempered glass bed that reaches maximum temperatures of up to 80 Degrees Celsius. This delivers better print adhesion, something that contributes immensely to the final print quality.
Although Tenlog has done quite well to build a solid and multipurpose printer with the TL-D3 Pro, the company scores very low when it comes to customer support. According to our analysis on reviews left by users on Amazon, it seems like a lot of customers who ran into issues with this unit were not able to get any substantial assistance from the company. This is despite the fact that Tenlog claims that it delivers support to customers within 24 hours after the request.
The TL-D3 Pro is one of the few 3D printers that deliver high-end features for a relatively low price. It is, therefore, the go-to unit for customers looking for the ultimate value for money. And it’s not hard to see why. This printer comes with a large build volume, dual printing, and a powerful direct drive extruder that can print any type of filament.
These features give you immense versatility that eventually allows you to print anything you want. The performance of the TL-D3 Pro is also impeccable, with maximum printing speeds of up to 150 mm/second and smooth noiseless operation.
However, there are a few issues Tenlog could improve in the future. First, they need to work on their support. We also noticed complaints that leveling the bed takes time for any beginner. But with everything considered, no doubt this is a solid, well-built printer. It will surely deliver outstanding service for all creators out there.
1 thought on “Review: Tenlog TL-D3 Pro”
I’m coming from a Flashforge Finder to this printer. Perhaps I jumped too far from a beginner to an advanced printer? I am having a lot of trouble with adhesion on the Tenlog. It’s not always an issue with the first layers coming loose or not adhering but rather later layers not sticking to firmly printed layers below. Off to forums to seek help but wanted to post something here too. Like the article says, I’m sure it’s a learning curve thing on my part. Heck, I’m not even used to a heated bed yet!